Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic is Memorable Things Characters Have Said.
I’m doing a roundup of some of my favorite quotes from my favorite series, the Cormoran Strike books by Robert Galbraith. I’ve broken them up by each book, below, though if you haven’t read this series some of them might not be in context.
From The Cuckoos’s Calling (Cormoran Strike #1)
- “Though Robin Ellacott’s twenty-five years of life had seen their moments of drama and incident, she had never before woken up in the certain knowledge that she would remember the coming day for as long as she lived.”While this isn’t a direct quote from a character, it’s the first line of the first book in the series and it had me instantly hooked.
From The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2)
- “Doesn’t anyone ever call you that, among all your many nicknames?’ she wondered as they walked back through to the hall. ‘Call me what?’ ‘“Lightning” Strike?” -Robin Ellacott
- “… cheer the fuck up and eat your burger.” -Cormoran Strike
From Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike #3)
- “I do,” said Robin in a ringing voice, looking straight into the eyes, not of her stony-faced new husband, but of the battered and bloodied man who had just sent her flowers crashing to the floor.”
- “I do not want a kebab.” -Robin Ellacott when she is drunk and half-mocking Strike for the time that when he was drunk, all he wanted was to eat kebabs.
- “Everyone liked Robin. He liked Robin. How could he fail to like her, after everything they had been through together? However, from the very first he had told himself: this far and no further. A distance must be maintained. Barriers must remain in place.”
From Lethal White (Cormoran Strike #4)
- “Pretending you’re okay when you aren’t isn’t strength.” -Cormoran Strike
- “How often were you aware, while it happened, that you were living an hour that would change the course of your life forever?”
From Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike #5)
- “Happy birthday, this isn’t your real present, you’ll get that later. (Not flowers) Love Strike x”
Honorable mentions I was not able to find online or in a brief searching of my physical copies include:
- Robin announcing in (I think) Career of Evil that she’s going to “do Platinum” referencing the surveillance work she and Strike are doing, at which Strike’s friend Shanker becomes immediately interested, and
- …in Lethal White when Robin mentions that the only horse Strike might be able to ride is a Clydesdale 🙂
If you haven’t read this series yet, and are a fan of mysteries and thrillers, I would highly recommend it!