Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic is Books On my TBR I’m Actively Avoiding and Why.
Let’s be honest, I could definitely come up with a lot more than ten books that I’m actively avoiding. But I’ll stick with ten for the sake of this post.
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. What if it doesn’t live up to the hype? What if I don’t even like it?
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. See above.
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. See above.
- It by Stephen King. Scared to read this. Just, scared. But what if it’s good?
- The Library Book by Susan Orlean. I have read many mixed reviews of this online, and spoken to fellow readers who were underwhelmed.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Same as above, readers seem to either love this or dislike it completely.
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I attempted this a few years ago but couldn’t get into it. Is it worth trying again?
- I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I really want to read this I just haven’t gotten around to it because I think I’ll like it too much. How’s that for an excuse??
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard. Same excuse as above. It sounds like a bad breakup line.
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. I’ve seen mixed reviews and I’m not sure if I should ignore them and read it anyway or just read something else.
As you can see, for the majority of these, I’m worried they won’t live up to the hype, or that I just won’t like them and will feel I’ve wasted my time. Does anyone else share this sentiment? What’s worse is that I own more than half of these books and I still can’t bring myself to read them. And now that I’ve admitted this, I will see myself out.
What are some books on your TBR that you’re actively avoiding, and why? Tell me in the comments or drop a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post so I can check it out! 🙂