Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s theme is Page to Screen Adaptations.
Here are some of my favorite adaptations (book-to-movie, book-to-TV show, TV show-to-book) in no particular order:
- Where’d You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple. I have been waiting for this movie to come out for pretty much forever. Is it just me, or do they keep pushing it back? As of now, it’s supposed to come out in August. This is one of my favorite books and I can’t wait to see how they adapt it for the screen.
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. I managed to read the book before seeing the movie last year, and I continue to be in love with both. I’m so glad they are continuing the series with at least one more movie.
- The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. This is my one and only (so far) case of the movie being better than the book. Since I haven’t been struck by lightning yet, I’ll keep typing. It’s been a while since I read this book, but I really, really did not like it at the time. The movie was infinitely better.
- Paper Towns by John Green. For me this was a case of a blah book and an equally blah movie adaptation.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Amazing book, amazing movie. Both had me in tears and quite angry about it.
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The movie is a decent companion to the book but nothing and no one can ever top this book. It is one of my all time favorites.
- Castle (TV show) At the time of its airing, this show was adapted to a book series along with each new season, and the books really aren’t bad. It’s like reading an episode of the show which I have zero complaints about, although I am still annoyed at how the show ended with little warning.
- The Giver by Lois Lowry. The book remains a powerful classic. Whereas the movie adaptation was not quite my favorite it’s still a good companion to the book.
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card. I have quite the history with this series. The movie adaptation was a letdown, and the book series is one I discontinued reading a long time ago for various reasons.
- Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. The movie combined the first two books in the series, and I thought it was a delight.
What are some of your favorite book adaptations? Link your Top Ten Tuesday post in the comments so I can check them out! 🙂